- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
DeciduousPinnate or 2-pinnate mid to bright-green leaves 30-60cm (12-24in) long with many sharply-toothed leaflets.
PurpleShades of purple/mauve/lilac/violetLilac
TreeFast-growing, many-branched, spreading tree with fissured grey bark. Flowers are followed by spherical or ovoid yellow fruit 1cm (½in) long.
Tender - cool or frost free greenhouseTolerant of low temperatures, but not surviving being frozen. Except in frost-free inner-city areas or coastal extremities requires glasshouse conditions. Plant can withstand temperatures down to 1°C (34°F)
Additional FeaturesGood to knowSeeds are used as beads in Asia. Plants in large containers may flower when 2-3m (6½-10ft) tallPests & DiseasesRed spider mites if in greenhousePlace of originNorthern India, China.
Flower ShapePaniclesArching to pendent panicles 10-20cm (4-8in) longStar-shaped2cm (¾in) across
Garden Location/ConditionsPatio / pot plants
HardinessHalf hardy (down to 0)
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
(see photos above)Ovate (see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 1Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Scented PlantsScented flowers
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilShelter from cold winds
Toxic - Category B - CAUTIONToxic if eaten(People & Pets)
Tree ShapeRounded to broadly spreading
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video