emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
MICHELIA maudiae 'Touch of Pink'
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Height - 6m (20ft)
Spread - 3m (10ft)
Tree - small tree with upright habit
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F) - borderline
Full sun - shelter from strong, drying winds
Additional Features - Good to know - - about 3m (10ft) x 2m (6ft) in 10 years
Pests & Diseases - scale insects, honey fungus, coral spot
Place of origin - China
Burncoose Specialities - Magnolias - smaller gardens -
Garden Location/Conditions - Suitable for small gardens - Suitable for small gardens
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Leaf margin - Entire - see photos above
Leaf shape - Elliptic - see photos above
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Scented Plants - Scented flowers - - very fragrant
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video