- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Evergreen Sale 25% off
- Seasonal Sale 20% off
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess'
- Camellia 'Yuletide' Save £6.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose'
- Camellia - Save £12.00
- Camellia - Save £5.00
- Free Border Design Service
- Ready Made Borders
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2023
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Arorangi, Daisy bush, New Zealand holly
EvergreenLeaves to 10cm (4in) long, silver-white-felted beneath.
WhiteWith reddish-brown centres.
HedgeIdeal for hedging
Tall ShrubVigorous upright shrub or small tree. Flowers in large corymbs to 15cm (6in) across.
Hardy - average winterHardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)Borderline
Full sunShelter from cold, dry wind
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesGood to knowWildlife plant - insects, butterfliesPlace of originNew Zealand.Resistant to honey fungusThese plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Garden Location/ConditionsAustralian / New ZealandBorderSuitable for a large shrub borderCoastal / windswept
(see photos above)
(see photos above)Ovate (see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 6Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs or climbers that need little to no pruning.
Action: Trim back shoots that spoil symmetry and to fit available space.
When: Annually after flowering if on previous year's growth, or in later Winter or Spring if flowering on current year's growth, or as requires.
RHS group 9 & 11
Scented PlantsScented flowers
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soil
WildlifeBee friendlyButterfly friendlyRabbit Resistant
- Caring for Olearia - Introduction
- Fully hardy Olearias suitable as hedging plants or windbreaks especially in coastal areas
- Hardy taller growing Olearia species as specimen or freestanding plants in a shrub border or woodland context
- Smaller growing ornamental species of Olearia which are better grown in the greenhouse in colder parts of the country
- Summer Pruning Olearia scilloniensis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video