Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Chilean pine, Monkey puzzle
- Chelsea Flower Show 2015 - Endangered Plants: Endangered
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018: Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Plants for specific types of garden: Exotic Plants
- Plants with particular characteristics: Specimen plants
- Plants beginning with 'A'
- Search Caerhays Garden Diary for more info & pictures
Evergreen - triangular, sharply pointed leaves, 3-5cm (1¼-2in) long, which persist for up to 10 years.
Height - 15 - 20m (50-70ft)
Spread - 5 - 10m (16-33ft)
Conifer - female cones are ovoid to 15cm (6in) long and ripen over 2-3 years. Males are cylindrical to ovoid and to 15cm (6in) long.
Tree - whorled branches. Loses lower branches with age.
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Additional Features - Endangered in the wild - These plants are listed on the International Union for Conservation of Nature's list of 'Red Plants'. This is a list of threatened species in the wild, they are either critically, endangered or vulnerable to extinction. - Endangered
Good to know - introduced by Scottish plant hunter Archibald Menzies in 1795 who planted seeds from a dessert from a meal with the Viceroy in Chile.
Place of origin - Chilean Andes, Argentina.
Hardiness - Fully hardy
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - open site but shelter from cold dry winds.
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly columnar
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant
Araucaria - Monkey Puzzle - Growing Guide
Trees - Care Guide
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
15 - 20m (50-70ft)
5 - 10m (16-33ft)
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5