Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Tuberose
Mexican bulb producing spikes of creamy-white heavily scented flowers. Best grown as a pot plant for the greenhouse or conservatory
- Design your own garden: The scented garden
- Greenhouse and Conservatory Plants: Shrubs / Bulbs
- Plants by colour: White
- Plants for specific types of garden: Exotic Plants
- Plants for specific types of garden: Scented Plants
- Pot Plants
- Herbaceous summer special
- Herbaceous summer special
- Plants beginning with 'P'
- Search Caerhays Garden Diary for more info & pictures
Height - 1.2m (4ft)
Spread - 15cm (6in)
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - tuberous perennial with semi-erect, linear leaves to 45cm (18in) long in a basal rosette. Funnel-shaped, waxy flowers to 5cm (2in) long with 6 widely-flared lobes.
Tender - cool or frost free greenhouse - Tolerant of low temperatures, but not surviving being frozen. Except in frost-free inner-city areas or coastal extremities requires glasshouse conditions. Plant can withstand temperatures down to 1°C (34°F) - use loam-based compost (JI No. 2) in full light.
Full sun - outdoors lift before first frosts.
Additional Features - Exotic plants
Good to know - cultivated for the perfume and floristry trade. Cut flowers last well.
Pests & Diseases - prone to viruses
Place of origin - origin unknown. Species is found in Mexico and Texas.
Garden Location/Conditions - Greenhouse / conservatory - Not the sort of plants to be grown outside where there are likely to be frosts. These plants need to be grown in a conservatory or cool greenhouse or at least brought inside for the winter
Hardiness - Half hardy (down to 0)
Is Scented Plant - Scented flowers
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil - outdoors, moderately fertile...
Herbaceous Plants - Video Collection
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
Polianthes - Growing Guide
Harrod Horticulture Plant Supports - Plant & Border Supports
Link stakes plant supports are made from dark olive-green powder coated galvanised steel wire (up to 6mm thick), merge seemlessly into the background.
4 options from £28.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Protect your knees in the garden with this squishy mat. Water-repellent and light weight.
Max/Min Digital Thermometer
Thermometer which displays current temperature in the centre, with Max above and min below. Suitable for use outdoors or in the greenhouse / conservatory. With batteries included