emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Yoshino cherry
The family of stone fruits, cherries, peaches, plums, nectarines, apricots, and almonds, and a dazzling array of ornamentals, all within the greater rose family. In Japan sakura zensen (the cherry blossom front) is followed northwards and is a cause of much celebration.
Because cherry flowers bloom en masse and because of their ephemeral nature they can provide one of the best horticultural events of the year when even a modest tree can provide a snowstorm of petals, falling to cover the ground beneath.
Genus of more than 200 species of deciduous or evergreen trees and shrubs widely distributed in northern temperate regions and the mountains of southeastern Asia. Because of their food and ornamental value they have been transported to most parts of the world where some have become naturalised.
UK natives are P. avium, wild cherry, P. padus, bird cherry and P spinosa, blackthorn or sloe.
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Deciduous - elliptic, dark-green leaves to 11cm (4in) long.
Height - 8m (25ft)
Spread - 5m (15ft)
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Additional Features - Good to know - - profuse cascades of blossom.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, caterpillars, bullfinches. Silver leaf, honey fungus, blossom wilt, bacterial canker.
Place of origin - garden origin. Raised by Hillier's Nursery, Hampshire, UK.
Flower Shape - Bowl-shaped -
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Scented Plants - Scented flowers - - delicate fragrance
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil -
Tree Shape - Weeping / pendulous -
- Pruning overlapping branches - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning drooping branches - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Prunus 'Okame', 'Kursar' & conradinae - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video