- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Flowering almond, Rose tree of China
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Leaves often 3-lobed 4-8cm (1½-3in) long, dark green above, mid green and softly hairy beneath
Shades of pink All shades of pink through to Carmine (red)
To 3m (10ft)
Slowly to 3m (10ft)
Densely branched shrub. Produces solitary or paired flowers 2-3.5cm (¾-1½in) across, followed by spherical red fruit, 1cm (½in) across
Hardy - very cold winter Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Berries These plants have berries.
Pests & Diseases
aphids, caterpillars, bullfinches. Silver leaf, honey fungus, blosson wilt, bacterial canker.
Place of origin
Suitable for small gardens
Serrate see photos above
Elliptic - broadly elliptic see photos above
Pruning group 4
Suitable for: Deciduous trees and shrubs that flower on current year's growth or are grown for winter stem effect.
Pruning: Hard prune to a low permanent framework.
When: Annually in early Spring.
RHS group 5, 6 & 7
Fertile moist well-drained soil - moderately fertile
to 3m (10ft)
slowly to 3m (10ft)