- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- December 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Rhododendron Wine and Roses – Save £8 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Camellia x vernalis Yuletide 3 year old plant for £40.00 inc giftwrap, c&p, save £9.50
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Daphne 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Daphne odora f. alba delivered and giftwrapped for £45.00 saving £9.50
- Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' giftwrapped & delivered for £29.50 saving £6.00
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
NEW LIME TOLERANT INKARHO RHODODENDRONS - This year we are offering just a few varieties as a trial to test their popularity with our customers.
Scented Rhododendrons suitable for conservatory or cool greenhouse are marked with an asterisk.
Genus of more than 1000 species of evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs from Europe, Asia, Australasia and North America, particularly southwestern China, Tibet, Burma, northern India and New Guinea.
Evergreen rhododendrons vary greatly in size and usually have bell-shaped flowers with 10 stamens.
Azaleas have smaller, thinner leaves and are generally medium-sized shrubs with smaller, funnel-shaped flowers with, usually, 5 stamens.
The problem rhododendron, vigorous hybrids of R. ponticum, which is colonizing large areas has been given the name R x superponticum and is subject to EU legislation under the "Invasive Alien Species Regulation".
Pests & Diseases - vine weevils, scale insects, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blast.
Place of Origin - garden origin. USA. 1959. HC Larson, Tacoma, Washington.
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Height - 1m (3ft)
Medium shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich.
Neutral to acid soil - ideally pH4.5 - 5.5
Full sun - shelter from strong winds
Flower Colour - Orange - red buds opening to orange
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Growing from seed
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'