Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
ASTELIA chathamica 'Silver Spear'
Striking silver, sword-like foliage, an excellent architectural plant for a patio tub or to lighten a dull corner
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017: Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018: Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Design your own garden: The Australia and New Zealand garden
- Gift Ideas: Silver Wedding Plants
- Plants for specific locations: Coastal and Windswept Locations – Coastal Plants
- Plants for specific locations: Patio Plants - Summer Patio Plants/Pot Plants
- Plants for specific types of garden: Architectural Plants
- Plants beginning with 'A'
- Search Caerhays Garden Diary for more info & pictures
Evergreen - clump forming perennial. Arching, silver-scaly leaves to 1.5m (5ft) long.
Height - 1.2m (4ft)
Spread - 2m (6ft)
Medium shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height - produces long stalks of brownish flowers followed by orange berries on female plants
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Additional Features - Architectural interest
Good to know - this taller variety looks stunning when spotlit at night.
Pests & Diseases - none.
Place of origin - New Zealand
Garden Location/Conditions - Australian / New Zealand
Coastal / windswept
Patio / pot plants
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - peaty soil.
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5