emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
RHODODENDRON 'Fastuosum flore pleno'
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Evergreen - medium-sized leaves 5-15cm (2-6in) long.
Purple - Shades of purple/mauve/lilac/violet - mauve, with brown-crimson flashes inside.
Height - 4m (13ft)
Spread - 4m (13ft)
Tall Shrub - dome-shaped shrub. Long-lasting trusses of funnel-shaped, wavy-margined flowers 5-7cm (2-3in) long.
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Full sun - shelter from strong winds
Additional Features - Good to know - - an excellent substitute for ponticum, the wild variety which is invasive. Fast-growing. Ideal for hedging or screening.
Pests & Diseases - vine weevils, scale insects, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blast.
Place of origin - garden origin. Belgium. Francoisi brothers. Pre. 1846.
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Pruning group - Pruning group 5
Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs that require minimal pruning.
Action: Trim or lightly cut back shoots that spoil symmetry. Deadhead regularly.
When: Annually after flowering.
RHS group 8
Seasonal Interest - Spring -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil - ideally pH4.5 - 5.5
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Planting out rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Five late flowering rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron decorum (pink form) - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron ‘Pink Polar Bear’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from seed
- Rhododendron Seed Collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Potting on Rhododendron seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by taking semi-ripe cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video