- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Scented Rhododendrons suitable for conservatory or cool greenhouse are marked with an asterisk.
Genus of more than 1000 species of evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs from Europe, Asia, Australasia and North America, particularly southwestern China, Tibet, Burma, northern India and New Guinea.
Evergreen rhododendrons vary greatly in size and usually have bell-shaped flowers with 10 stamens.
Azaleas have smaller, thinner leaves and are generally medium-sized shrubs with smaller, funnel-shaped flowers with, usually, 5 stamens.
The problem rhododendron, vigorous hybrids of R. ponticum, which is colonizing large areas has been given the name R x superponticum and is subject to EU legislation under the "Invasive Alien Species Regulation".
EvergreenMedium-sized leaves 5-15cm (2-6in) long.
PurpleShades of purple/mauve/lilac/violetMauve, with brown-crimson flashes inside.
Tall ShrubDome-shaped shrub. Long-lasting trusses of funnel-shaped, wavy-margined flowers 5-7cm (2-3in) long.
Hardy - very cold winterHardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Full sunShelter from strong winds
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesGood to knowAn excellent substitute for ponticum, the wild variety which is invasive. Fast-growing. Ideal for hedging or screening.Pests & DiseasesVine weevils, scale insects, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blast.Place of originGarden origin. Belgium. Francoisi brothers. Pre. 1846.
Pruning groupPruning group 5Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs that require minimal pruning.
Action: Trim or lightly cut back shoots that spoil symmetry. Deadhead regularly.
When: Annually after flowering.
RHS group 8
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilHumus-richNeutral to acid soilIdeally pH4.5 - 5.5
Toxic - Category CHarmful if eaten(People & Pets)
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintenance - fallen tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- General Pictures
- Further Reading
- Planting out rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from seed
- Rhododendron Seed Collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Potting on Rhododendron seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by taking semi-ripe cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'
- R. augustinii, edgeworthii x leucaspis, 'Anne Teese', loderi 'King George' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron cilpinense - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron decorum (pink form) - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Five late flowering rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- R. loderi 'King George' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- R. niveum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron ‘Pink Polar Bear’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Lithocarpus Seed Collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Camellia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Storing seeds over winter
- Embothrium Collecting and Storing Seeds
- Decaisnea Seed Collection & Potting
Buy Varieties of RHODODENDRON
strong red with darker markings
white flowers flushed pink. Scented
Semi-dwarf rhododendron. Geranium red yak. hybrid
deep orange flowers late in the season
pale amber-orange with spotted throat
Dwarf rhododendron. Tubular, frilled rose-pink flowers with red spots
stunning foliage, pink to red on the back of the leaf and new growth, bronze. Profuse pink flowers and compact habit
salmon, bushy habit
a Caerhays hybrid with tubular bell-shaped yellow flowers. Normally flowers a second time in the autumn
violet paling to white
white flushed mauve
deep purple-violet flowers with greenish speckling in the throat
deep red flowers with a conspicuous dark blotch