emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Scented Rhododendrons suitable for conservatory or cool greenhouse are marked with an asterisk.
Genus of more than 1000 species of evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs from Europe, Asia, Australasia and North America, particularly southwestern China, Tibet, Burma, northern India and New Guinea.
Evergreen rhododendrons vary greatly in size and usually have bell-shaped flowers with 10 stamens.
Azaleas have smaller, thinner leaves and are generally medium-sized shrubs with smaller, funnel-shaped flowers with, usually, 5 stamens.
The problem rhododendron, vigorous hybrids of R. ponticum, which is colonizing large areas has been given the name R x superponticum and is subject to EU legislation under the "Invasive Alien Species Regulation".
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Evergreen - leaves 4.5-9cm (1¾-3½in) long, dark green above, paler beneath with a fringe of hair along the margins.
Shades of pink - All shades of pink through to Carmine (red) - solid pink.
Height - to 1.2m (4ft)
Spread - to 1.2m (4ft)
Medium shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height - early spring flowering. Produces small trusses of 2-4 tubular-bell-shaped flowers 2-3cm (¾-1¼in) long.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Full sun - tolerates full sun.
Additional Features - Good to know - - shallow planting is essential. Grows slowly. Tolerant of more alkaline soil
Pests & Diseases - vine weevils, scale insects, powdery mildew, bud blast, honey fungus
Place of origin - eastern Himalayas (Sikkim). Collected by JD Hooker in 1848-9.
Burncoose Specialities - Rhododendrons -
Garden Location/Conditions - Suitable for small gardens - Suitable for small gardens
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Leaf margin - Ciliate - see photos above
Leaf shape - Elliptic - see photos above
Pruning group - Pruning group 5
Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs that require minimal pruning.
Action: Trim or lightly cut back shoots that spoil symmetry. Deadhead regularly.
When: Annually after flowering.
RHS group 8
Seasonal Interest - Spring -
Soil Conditions - Acid / ericaceous loving - - ideally pH 4.5-6.0
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- General Pictures
- Further Reading
- Planting out rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from seed
- Rhododendron Seed Collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Potting on Rhododendron seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by taking semi-ripe cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'
- R. augustinii, edgeworthii x leucaspis, 'Anne Teese', loderi 'King George' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron cilpinense - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron decorum (pink form) - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Five late flowering rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- R. niveum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron ‘Pink Polar Bear’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Camellia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
to 1.2m (4ft)
to 1.2m (4ft)