emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Scented Rhododendrons suitable for conservatory or cool greenhouse are marked with an asterisk.
Genus of more than 1000 species of evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs from Europe, Asia, Australasia and North America, particularly southwestern China, Tibet, Burma, northern India and New Guinea.
Evergreen rhododendrons vary greatly in size and usually have bell-shaped flowers with 10 stamens.
Azaleas have smaller, thinner leaves and are generally medium-sized shrubs with smaller, funnel-shaped flowers with, usually, 5 stamens.
The problem rhododendron, vigorous hybrids of R. ponticum, which is colonizing large areas has been given the name R x superponticum and is subject to EU legislation under the "Invasive Alien Species Regulation".
Deciduous - lance-shaped, dark-green leaves 4-6cm (1½-2½in) long.
Purple - Shades of purple/mauve/lilac/violet - deep rosy-purple to mauve-pink and rose-pink or white
Height - 30cm-2.5m (1-8ft)
Spread - 1m (39in)
Medium shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height - erect habit. Solitary, funnel-shaped flowers 2-2.5cm (to 1in) long.
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - vine weevils, whiteflies, scale insects, caterpillars, aphids, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blast.
Place of origin - eastern Russia, north and central China, Mongolia.
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil - ideally pH 4.5 - 5.5
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Planting out rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Five late flowering rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from seed
- Rhododendron Seed Collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering short - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by layering long - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video