- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Stag's horn sumach
Leaves to 60cm (24in) long with 11-31 oblong-lance-shaped dark-green leaflets turning brilliant orange-red in autumn.
5m (16ft) or more
Upright, suckering shrub or tree. Produces flowers in erect, conical panicles to 20cm (8in) long.
Hardy - very cold winter Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Caution, toxic if eaten Do not eat these plants.
Good to know - produces velvety red shoots resembling a stag's horns. Male and female flowers are usually produced on separate plants. Plants of each gender are required for fruit.
Pests & Diseases
Place of origin
eastern North America.
Pinnate see photos above
Lanceolate see photos above
Pruning group 4
Suitable for: Deciduous trees and shrubs that flower on current year's growth or are grown for winter stem effect.
Pruning: Hard prune to a low permanent framework.
When: Annually in early Spring.
RHS group 5, 6 & 7
Fertile moist well-drained soil - moderately fertile
Rounded to broadly spreading
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video
5m (16ft) or more
Buy Varieties of RHUS typhina
Feathery foliage, good autumn colour
Exceptional changing leaf colour. Yellow in summer with orange and scarlet tones in autumn