- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Flowering currant
Scalloped, leathery, dark-green leaves 5-10cm (2-4in) long.
Medium shrub Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Spreading dioecious shrub (male and female plants needed for successful berry production). Produces flowers in pendent racemes, males to 5cm (2in) long, females to 2.5cm (1in) long
Hardy - cold winter Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Pests & Diseases - aphids, leaf spot, powdery mildew, honey fungus, coral spot.
Place of origin
Crenate see photos above
Oblong see photos above
Pruning group 2
Suitable for: Deciduous shrubs and trees that flower in Spring or early Summer on previous year's growth, including plants that produce new growth at or near ground level.
Pruning: Prune flowered shoots to strong buds. Cut back approximately 1/4 of old shoots to the base to promote replacement growth.
When: Annually, after flowering.
RHS groups 2 & 3
Fertile well drained soil
Buy Varieties of RIBES laurifolium
An attractive form which is more dwarfish in habit