- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Rosemary
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
leathery, dark-green leaves to 5cm (2in) long, white-felted beneath.
Medium shrub Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Produces whorls of tubular, 2-lipped flowers 1cm (½in) long from the upper leaf axils.
Hardy - average winter Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Good to know - Salvia rosmarinus. Often flowers mid-spring to summer and again in autumn. Wildlife plant - bees.
Pests & Diseases
Place of origin
Frost hardy (down to -5)
Entire see photos above
Linear see photos above
Pruning group 6
Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs or climbers that need little to no pruning.
Action: Trim back shoots that spoil symmetry and to fit available space.
When: Annually after flowering if on previous year's growth, or in later Winter or Spring if flowering on current year's growth, or as requires.
RHS group 9 & 11
Well drained, dry, poor to moderately fertile soil
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
Buy Varieties of ROSMARINUS officinalis
White-flowered form. Upright to rounded habit
Ginger-scented leaves and light blue flowers
Attractive pink flowering form
Strong growing form with an erect-habit
Vigorous prostrate variety with mid-blue flowers
Pale blue, semi-prostrate
Dark blue tight arching form
Arching branches and brilliant blue flowers
Brilliant blue flowers
Prostrate form with blue flowers. Leaves silvery on reverse