Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Sage
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Deciduous - lance-shaped, deeply toothed, mid-green leaves to 7cm (2¾in) long getting smaller up the slender stems
Blue - clear sky blue
Height - to 2m (6½ft)
Spread - 90cm (36in)
Bulb/Corm or rhizomatous perennial - clump-forming rhizomatous perennial. Produces flowers to 2cm (¾in) long(
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - slugs, snails
Place of origin - Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina.
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Flower Shape - Racemes - - short, terminal racemes
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Pruning group - Pruning group 6
Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs or climbers that need little to no pruning.
Action: Trim back shoots that spoil symmetry and to fit available space.
When: Annually after flowering if on previous year's growth, or in later Winter or Spring if flowering on current year's growth, or as requires.
RHS group 9 & 11
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Wet or boggy soil -
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
to 2m (6½ft)