- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as False goatsbeard
Genus of about 14 species of clump-forming perennials with plumes of flowers in red, purple, pink and white from moist sites in mountain ranges of southeastern Asia and North America.
Known as false goat's beard or false spirea.
An easy to care for attractive plant where numerous hybrids have been raised from complex crosses.
DeciduousOvate to ovate-lance-shaped leaflets, dark red when young
Bulb/Corm or rhizomatous perennialClump-forming rhizomatous perennial
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Hardy - cold winterHardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Additional FeaturesGood to knowFlowerheads can be left for winter interestPests & DiseasesPowdery mildew and leaf spot possibly.Place of originSouth eastern Asia, North America. Garden origin. Netherlands. 1940. Verboom
Garden Location/ConditionsBog garden
Soil ConditionsWet or boggy soilMoist, humus-rich boggy site. For drier areas, grow in shade. Avoid chalk and clay.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of ASTILBE
light mauve with dark foliage
creamy-white flowers with red stamens
rich chocolate-coloured foliage and contrasting pale pink flower spikes
clear pink with excellent foliage