- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Rowan
DeciduousOval to oblong, double-toothed leaves, boldly marked with 9-16 pairs of parallel veins.
WhiteWith pink-purple anthers
Tall ShrubLarge shrub or small tree with erect stems, wide-spread branches producing a flat-topped, tiered crown. Bronze-tinted leaves appear in late winter and early spring, turning green and then golden-orange in autumn. Produces conspicuous corymbs, 5-8cm (2-3in) across, of clear-white flowers followed by small, brown, pear-shaped fruit.
Hardy - very cold winterHardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Partial shadeLight, dappled shade
Additional FeaturesPests & DiseasesAphids, sawfly larvae, canker, honey fungus, fireblightPlace of originCentral China
Garden Location/ConditionsWoodland garden
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 1Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilModerately fertile. Humus-richNeutral to acid soil
WildlifeBee friendlyBird friendly
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Lithocarpus Seed Collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Camellia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Storing seeds over winter
- Embothrium Collecting and Storing Seeds
- Decaisnea Seed Collection & Potting