Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Japanese snowbell
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017: Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018: Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Gift Ideas: Silver Wedding Plants
- Ornamental Bark: Trees with Ornamental Bark
- Plants for specific locations: Woodland Gardens – Woodland Plants
- Plants with particular characteristics: Flowering Trees
- Trees: Small Trees
- Plants beginning with 'S'
- Search Caerhays Garden Diary for more info & pictures
Deciduous - oblong, glossy, mid- to dark-green leaves to 10cm (4in) long turning yellow or red in autumn
White - sometimes tinged pink
Height - 10m (33ft)
Spread - 8m (26ft)
Tree - spreading tree. Produces bell-shaped flowers 1.5cm (½in) long, singly or in clusters of 3-6 along the undersides of the branches.
Very hardy - Hardy in the severest continental climates including exposed upland locations in the UK. Plant can withstand temperatures < -20 (-4°F)
Additional Features - Ornamental bark
Pests & Diseases - trouble free
Place of origin - China, Korea, Japan
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Garden Location/Conditions - Woodland garden
Hardiness - Fully hardy
Is Scented Plant - Scented flowers
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly spreading
Wildlife - Bee friendly
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
Styrax - Care Guide
Trees - Care Guide
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of STYRAX japonicus
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5