- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
EvergreenGrey-green leaves to 7cm (3in) long, white-woolly beneath.
FruitPlants which produce an edible or ornamental fruitLarge, round to oval fruit to 8ozs.
Medium shrubTypically grow to around 4-6 feet in heightBushy shrub. Produces flowers singly from the upper leaf axils
Zero Rated ItemNo VAT on this plant
Tender - cool or frost free greenhouseTolerant of low temperatures, but not surviving being frozen. Except in frost-free inner-city areas or coastal extremities requires glasshouse conditions. Plant can withstand temperatures down to 1°C (34°F)
Full sunSheltered site
ACCA sellowiana 'Mammoth'
Additional FeaturesGood to knowSelf-fertile but produces heavier fruiting when cross-pollinated. For a better chance of fruit, where temperatures fall below 5°C (41°F), grow in cool greeenhouse or conservatory.Pests & DiseasesNone.Place of originA New Zealand selection from an Australian seedling.
Flower ShapeCup-shapedShallowly cup-shaped 4cm (1½in) across with long, red stamens
Garden Location/ConditionsGreenhouse / conservatoryNot the sort of plants to be grown outside where there are likely to be frosts. These plants need to be grown in a conservatory or cool greenhouse or at least brought inside for the winterUse loam-based (JI No. 3) compost in full lightPatio / pot plants
HardinessTender (greenhouse & conservatory)
(see photos above)
(see photos above)Oblong (see photos above)
Soil ConditionsMedium to light, fertile, well drained soil
- How to plant/move a shrub
- How to plant/move a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fertisiling shrubs - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Mulching - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Taking semi-ripe cuttings -Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-sown seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Trimming a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video