- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Evergreen Sale 25% off
- Seasonal Sale 20% off
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose'
- Camellia 'Yuletide' Save £6.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess'
- Camellia - Save £12.00
- Camellia - Save £5.00
- Free Border Design Service
- Ready Made Borders
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2023
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Evergreenglossy or matt, dark-green leaves 2-3cm (¾-1¼in) long are 2-ranked and parted either side of the shoots.
ConiferThe highly modified seed cone consists of a single green seed surrrounded by a juicy, sweet, usually red, aril 1cm (½in) across.
HedgeIdeal for hedging
TreeSpreading, horizontal branches with shoots that remain green for many years and scaly, purple-brown bark.
Hardy - very cold winterHardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesBerriesThese plants have berries.Good to knowThe ancient tree seen in British churchyards and the countryside. With Scots pine and juniper one of only three conifers native to the UK. Can withstand renovation pruning.Medicinal propertiesPests & DiseasesTortrix moth caterpillars, vine weevil, yew scale, phytophthora root rot.Place of originEurope, northern Africa to Iran
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soil
Toxic - Category B - CAUTIONToxic if eaten(People & Pets)
Tree ShapeBroadly conical
- Growing Taxus
- Yew Hedge Trimming - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Poisonous yew seeds in autumn - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video
MAHONIA x media 'Charity'
WISTERIA floribunda 'Alba'
Buy Varieties of TAXUS baccata
columnar habit with very dark needle-like foliage
yellow margined leaves on golden-yellow shoots. Spreading habit with drooping branchlets. Female tree
upright form with very dark green leaves
yellow margined leaves on this Irish yew
low spreading yew with leaf margins yellow when young turning cream later. Needs full sun for the best leaf colour
bright gold foliage
narrow and columnar habit with golden yellow leaves. Very slow growing