- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Arum lily, Pig lily, Trumpet lily
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
In mild areas. Semi-erect, arrow-shaped, glossy, bright green leaves to 45cm (18in) long.
Bulb/Corm or rhizomatous perennial
Clump-forming rhizomatous perennial. Produces a succession of spathes to 25cm (10in) long with creamy yellow spadices
Herbaceous Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Hardy - average winter Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Harmful if eaten These will give you an upset tummy, so please don't eat any of these.
May cause skin allergy or irritant Having skin or eye contact with these plants could result in an allergic reaction, burning or rash.
Good to know - can be grown as an aquatic marginal in water to 30cm (12in) deep.
Pests & Diseases
aphids, thrips, fungal and bacterial rots and viruses.
Place of origin
South Africa, Lesotho. Introduced into UK by Francis Masson (Kew) c. 1796
Frost hardy (down to -5)
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich. Protect with deep winter mulch.
Wet or boggy soil
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
ASTILBE 'Hennie Graafland'
FICUS carica 'Celeste'
GAULTHERIA mucronata 'Signal'
GERANIUM x oxonianum 'Wargrave Pink'
HARDY FERNS Athyrium filix-femina
HOUTTUYNIA cordata 'Chameleon'
IRIS sibirica 'Snow Queen'
SALVIA 'Royal Bumble'
Buy Varieties of ZANTEDESCHIA aethiopica
Variety with shorter spathes
Large green flowers