- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
EvergreenIn mild areas. Semi-erect, arrow-shaped, glossy, bright green leaves to 45cm (18in) long.
Bulb/Corm or rhizomatous perennialClump-forming rhizomatous perennial. Produces a succession of spathes to 25cm (10in) long with creamy yellow spadices
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Hardy - average winterHardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesGood to knowCan be grown as an aquatic marginal in water to 30cm (12in) deep.Pests & DiseasesAphids, thrips, fungal and bacterial rots and viruses.Place of originSouth Africa, Lesotho. Introduced into UK by Francis Masson (Kew) c. 1796
Garden Location/ConditionsBog garden
HardinessFrost hardy (down to -5)
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilHumus-rich. Protect with deep winter mulch.Wet or boggy soil
Toxic - Category CHarmful if eaten(People & Pets)Skin & eye irritant(People & Pets)
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video
ASTILBE 'Hennie Graafland'
FICUS carica 'Celeste'
GAULTHERIA mucronata 'Signal'
GERANIUM x oxonianum 'Wargrave Pink'
HARDY FERNS Athyrium filix-femina
HOUTTUYNIA cordata 'Chameleon'
IRIS sibirica 'Snow Queen'
SALVIA 'Royal Bumble'
Buy Varieties of ZANTEDESCHIA aethiopica
variety with shorter spathes
large green flowers