Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Australian blackwood, Blackwood acacia
Evergreen - matt-green to greyish-green phyllodes (leaves) to 15cm (6in) long.
Cream - to pale yellow.
Height - 5-25m (15-80ft)
Spread - 4-12m (13-40ft)
Tree - or shrub with an erect to spreading habit and freely-branching angular stems. Produces flower heads 1cm (½in) across
Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winter - Hardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or good micro-climate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
Full sun - sheltered site.
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - red spider mites under glass.
Place of origin - Australia (South Australia, Queensland to Tasmania).
Flower Shape - Racemes - branches, axillary racemes 5-10cm (2-4in) long
Garden Location/Conditions - Australian / New Zealand
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Seasonal Interest - Winter
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil
Neutral to acid soil
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly spreading
Acacia - Growing Guide
Shrubs - Care Guide
- How to plant/move a shrub
- How to plant/move a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fertisiling shrubs - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Mulching - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
Trees - Care Guide
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5