emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Red hot poker, Torch lily, Tritoma
Expanding range of showy pokers for growing in nature-friendly clumps.
Many hybrids have been toned down over time from the original "red hot pokers" and now come in shades of red, orange, yellow, and greenish white.
Genus of about 70 species of evergreen or semi-evergreen rhizomatous perennials from mountainous or upland areas, often in moist places in rough grass or along streamsides in southern and tropical Africa, Madagascar and Arabia.
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Deciduous - grass-like leaves.
Height - 60-90cm (24-36in)
Spread - 30cm (12in) plus.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - rhizomatous perennial. A dainty, low-growing example. Slender flowerheads.
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Additional Features - Good to know - attractive to bees.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, snails, thrips, violet root.
Place of origin - southern and tropical Africa.
Hardiness - Fully hardy
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus rich, preferably sandy.
Wildlife - Bee friendly
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
30cm (12in) plus.