- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Chinese prickly ash
leaves to 20cm (8in) long, each with up to 11 toothed, glossy, dark-green leaflets which turn yellow to reddish yellow in autumn.
Spreading shrub or small tree. Produces tiny, cup-shaped flowers in cymes 5cm (2in) across. Fruits split to reveal glossy black seeds.
Hardy - cold winter Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Or light dappled shade.
Berries These plants have berries.
Good to know
husks are used for culinary purposes, seeds are discarded.
Pests & Diseases
Place of origin
China, Japan, Taiwan.
Pinnate see photos above
Incised see photos above
Ovate see photos above
Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Fertile well drained soil
Rounded to broadly spreading