emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Funkia, Plantain lily
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Height - 45cm (18in)
Spread - 65cm (26in)
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump forming perennial. Lustrous leaves 20cm (8in) long with a muted gold cast. Large, pale lavender flowers on scapes 85cm (34in) tall.
Very hardy - Hardy in the severest continental climates including exposed upland locations in the UK. Plant can withstand temperatures < -20 (-4°F)
Full sun - will tolerate sun in moist soil.
Additional Features - Good to know - - a descendant from the fragrant H. plantaginea.
Pests & Diseases - a great delicacy for slugs and snails! Vine weevil in pot grown plants. Possibly virus infections
Place of origin - garden origin (North Carolina, USA)
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Scented Plants - Scented flowers -
Seasonal Interest - Summer -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - shelter from cold dry winds. Will not tolerate drought. Mulch annually in spring to keep in moisture.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video