Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Large leafed species with creamy-yellow flowers late in the season
Evergreen - broadly elliptic to obovate, dark-green leaves 18-35cm (7-14in) long with dense, woolly, brown indumentum beneath.
Yellow - pale yellow
Height - 12m (39ft)
Spread - 5m (16ft)
Tree - multi-stemmed tree with flaking, red-brown bark. Produces trusses of 20-25 widely bell-shaped flowers 4-5cm (1½-2in) long, often with purple marks inside.
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Full sun - avoid hot afternoon sun
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - vine weevils, whiteflies, scale insects, caterpillars, aphids, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blast.
Place of origin - eastern Himalayas. Seeds collected by JD Hooker 1848-49. (generally accepted introduction date)
Hardiness - Fully hardy
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil - ideally pH 4.5 - 5.5
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant
Cold weather damage to evergreen plants
Rhododendron - Care Guide
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
Rhododendron - Propagation
- Growing from seed
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
Trees - Care Guide
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow Ericoid mycorrhizal fungi
This specially adapted Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi will boost the growth of acid-loving plants like rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers and blueberries. It contains ericoid and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, which are found in poor acidic soils where ericaceous plants naturally grow.
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Ericaceous Liquid Seaweed Fertiliser
Specially developed organic concentrated seaweed feed for ericaceous plants that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™ Ericoid.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5