emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Evergreen - lance-shaped leaves 9-13cm (3½-5in) long, glaucous and scaly beneath
Height - 3m (10ft)
Spread - 2m (6½ft)
Tall Shrub - untidy habit. Produces flowers in trusses of up to 6. Flowers have orange or yellow flare within
Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winter - Hardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or good micro-climate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
Additional Features - Good to know - - epiphytic shrub (plant that grows on another plant without obtaining food from it). Can be grown on decaying tree stumps, mimicking its natural situation or in a container with orchid medium
Pests & Diseases - vine weevils, whiteflies, scale insects, caterpillars, aphids, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blast.
Place of origin - eastern Himalayas
Flower Shape - Tubular - - to funnel-shaped 7-10cm (2¾-4in) long
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Scented Plants - Scented flowers - - heavily scented
Seasonal Interest - Summer -
Soil Conditions - Medium to light, fertile, well drained soil - - requires coarse medium with sharp drainage
Neutral to acid soil - ideally pH 4.5 - 5.5
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Planting out rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Five late flowering rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron decorum (pink form) - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron ‘Pink Polar Bear’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from seed
- Rhododendron Seed Collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering short - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by layering long - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video