Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
X williamsii. Single pale pink fading to white at the base
- Camellia - Care Guide
- Camellia - Hybridisation
- Camellias - Background info Videos.
- Cold weather damage to evergreen plants
- Planting to avoid allergic reactions and asthma
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Evergreen - dark green leaves to 9cm (3½in) long.
Shades of pink - All shades of pink through to Carmine (red)
Height - 3m (10ft)
Spread - 3m (10ft)
Tall Shrub - vigorous,compact, upright habit. Produces medium-sized flowers 8-10cm (3-4in) across.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - aphids, scale insects, vine weevil, leaf spot.
Place of origin - garden origin. UK. Lord Aberconway, Bodnant, Wales.
Camellia Types - x williamsii
Flower Shape - Single - Row of petals round conspicuous stamens - no more than 8 petals
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Seasonal Interest - Spring
Soil Conditions - Acid / ericaceous loving
Fertile moist well-drained soil
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly columnar
Rounded to broadly spreading
Camellia - Care Guide
- Camellia Care - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil Conditions
- Planting Tips
- Camellia Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pests and Diseases
- Sooty mould in spring - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Collecting Camellia Seeds - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Flowering Periods
- Self Seeding Camellia reticulata - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
Camellia - Hybridisation
Camellias - Background info Videos.
- Camellia oleifera - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Flowering sasanqua Camellias - Video Tip ondemand_video
Cold weather damage to evergreen plants
Planting to avoid allergic reactions and asthma
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow Ericoid mycorrhizal fungi
This specially adapted Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi will boost the growth of acid-loving plants like rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers and blueberries. It contains ericoid and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, which are found in poor acidic soils where ericaceous plants naturally grow.
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Ericaceous Liquid Seaweed Fertiliser
Specially developed organic concentrated seaweed feed for ericaceous plants that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™ Ericoid.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5