emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Funkia, Plantain lily
Impressive foliage in colour and texture.
Genus of about 70 species and numerous cultivars of mostly clump-forming perennials from sun-baked volcanic cliffs, rocky streamsides, woodland, and alpine meadows in China, Korea, Japan and eastern Russia.
Many hybrids have also been raised, mainly in the USA.
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Deciduous - heart-shaped leaves.
Height - 80cm (32in)
Spread - 40cm (16in)
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump-forming perennial. Lavender-grey flowers on tall, slender stems.
Partial shade - colouring has good sun tolerance.
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - a great delicacy for slugs and snails! Vine weevil in pot grown plants. Possibly virus infections.
Place of origin - China, Korea, Japan, eastern Russia. (garden origin - USA)
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - avoid drought. Mulch annually in spring to conserve moisture.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video