- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Genus of about 125 species of large, robust perennials, mainly from central and eastern Asia, with a few from Europe, found in moist or wet grassland, open, wet scrub and woodland, by mountain streams and in ditches.
They make imposing waterside plants.
HeightTo 2m (6ft)
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.Perennial. Leaves to 30cm (12in) long, deeply cut and irregularly toothed and lobed. produces slender, dense racemes of flowerheads 2cm (¾in) across.
Hardy - cold winterHardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Full sunShelter from cold winds and provide a little shade from midday sun.
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesGood to knowWill naturalise in moist soil. Good as waterside plants. Shelter from strong winds to prevent flower stems breaking. Wildlife plant - insects, butterflies.Pests & DiseasesSlugs and snails may damage emerging leaves.Place of originNorthern China.
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soil
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video
to 2m (6ft)
DIGITALIS purpurea Excelsior hybrids
HARDY FERNS Athyrium filix-femina
HELENIUM 'Moerheim Beauty'
HYPERICUM x hidcoteense 'Hidcote'
SPIRAEA japonica 'Anthony Waterer'
Buy Varieties of LIGULARIA
purple-bronze leaves and bright orange-yellow daisy flowers
orange-purple flowers of around 3 feet in height and shining brownish-purple foliage