emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
ASTRANTIA involucrata 'Shaggy'
Commonly known as Masterwort
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Deciduous - loose basal rosettes of palmately lobed or palmate leaves, deeply cut
Height - 80cm (32in)
Spread - 45cm (18in)
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump-forming perennial. Large, pincushion flowerheads with very long, green-tipped bracts in erect umbels
Very hardy - Hardy in the severest continental climates including exposed upland locations in the UK. Plant can withstand temperatures < -20 (-4°F)
Additional Features - Good to know - - syn. 'Margery Fish'. Reputedly found in her garden in Somerset, UK.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, aphids, powdery mildew.
Place of origin - garden origin.
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Seasonal Interest - Summer -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - humus-rich
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video