- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
EvergreenOvate, glossy leaves to 5cm (2in) long
Semi-evergreenKeeps some of its foliage all year, and will drop some leaves as well.In colder areas
Shades of pinkAll shades of pink through to Carmine (red)Pink, tinged white
Medium shrubTypically grow to around 4-6 feet in heightRounded shrub with arching branches. Produces funnel-shaped flowers 2cm (¾in) long from axillary cymes and in terminal panicles
Hardy - cold winterHardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
ABELIA x grandiflora 'Francis Mason'
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesGood to knowLess vigorous than grandiflora. Also widely listed as Frances Mason. Wildlife plant - insectsPests & DiseasesNonePlace of originGarden origin. New Zealand. 1950s. Mason Nurseries.Resistant to honey fungusThese plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Flower ShapePaniclesTerminal panicles and axillary cymesTubularFunnel-shaped flowers 2cm (¾in) long with 2-5-lobed calyces
Leaf Colour (if not green)Gold variegated
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 5Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs that require minimal pruning.
Action: Trim or lightly cut back shoots that spoil symmetry. Deadhead regularly.
When: Annually after flowering.
RHS group 8
Scented PlantsScented flowers
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soil
- How to plant/move a shrub
- How to plant/move a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fertisiling shrubs - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Mulching - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Taking semi-ripe cuttings -Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-sown seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Trimming a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video