emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
CAMELLIA 'Beatrice Michael'
- Camellia - Care Guide
- Camellia - Hybridisation
- Camellias - Background info Videos.
- Cold weather damage to evergreen plants
- Planting to avoid allergic reactions and asthma
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Shades of pink - All shades of pink through to Carmine (red) - very pale pink
Height - 2-5m (6½-16ft)
Spread - 1-3m (3-10ft)
Tall Shrub - vigorous, upright shrub.
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Partial shade - shelter from cold, dry winds and early morning sun.
Additional Features - Good to know - - C. japonica x saluensis. Named after the wife of Charles Michael, Head Gardener at Caerhays in the 1940's.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, scale insects, vine weevil, leaf spot.
Place of origin - garden origin. UK. Caerhays Estate, Cornwall.
Camellia Types - x williamsii -
Flower Shape - Single - Row of petals round conspicuous stamens - no more than 8 petals - to 7cm (2¾in) across
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Seasonal Interest - Spring -
Soil Conditions - Acid / ericaceous loving -
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
- Camellia Care - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil Conditions
- Planting Tips
- Camellia Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Wind damaged pruning & staking - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pests and Diseases
- Sooty mould in spring - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Collecting Camellia Seeds - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by semi-ripe cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Flowering Periods
- Self Seeding Camellia reticulata - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Camellia oleifera - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Flowering sasanqua Camellias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video