emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Commonly known as Birch
Genus of about 60 species of deciduous trees and shrubs from varying habitats throughout the northern hemisphere.
Graceful in habit (lady of the woods), ornamental bark, colourful autumn foliage, attractive male catkins and an open crown make this a superb choice for a garden tree for even modestly sized gardens. Autumn leaves decompose quickly.
The UK species are silver, downy and dwarf and are all important wildlife trees.
Countless uses in history including canoes, writing material, beer and wine and bark gaiters.
Deciduous - mid- to dark-green toothed leaves. Male and female flowers appear in spring in separate catkins on the same tree. Male catkins are usually yellow-brown, pendent and longer than the females.
Tree - grown for decorative bark, graceful form and autumn leaf colour.
Partial shade - prefers light, dappled shade.
Additional Features - Good to know - - one of the 'pioneer' species which quickly colonise bare ground. Most are tolerant of very exposed positions. Wildlife plant - birds and insects. A wonderful airy tree for medium-sized gardens.
Pests & Diseases - birch borers, birch leaf mining sawfly, birch rust, mildew.
Place of origin - northern hemisphere.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - will also succeed in less-fertile moist soil.
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video