emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
PRUNUS 'Royal Burgundy'
Commonly known as Flowering cherry
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Deciduous - oval-elliptic, reddish black leaves 6-12cm (2½-4¾in) long, deep coppery red when young turning orange and scarlet in autumn
Shades of pink - All shades of pink through to Carmine (red) - rose pink
Height - 8-10m (26-33ft)
Spread - 6-8m (20-26ft)
Tree - vigorous tree. Produces clusters of 2-4 double, magenta-pink flowers 5cm (2in) across just before, or with, the leaves
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Additional Features - Good to know - - bronze-leafed cherry related to P. Kanzan
Pests & Diseases - aphids, caterpillars, bullfinches. Silver leaf, honey fungus, blossom wilt, bacterial canker
Place of origin - garden origin
Flower Shape - Double - Multi rows of petals, no stamen showing
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Leaf margin - Serrulate - see photos above
Leaf shape - Elliptic - see photos above
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - moderately fertile
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly columnar - - narrowly upright, broadening with age
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video