emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Evergreen - extremely large oblong to inversely lance-shaped leaves to 46cm (18in) long, with wooly indumentum beneath
Height - to 3m (10ft)
Spread - to 3m (10ft)
Medium shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height - produces rounded clusters to 45cm (18in) across of up to 25 flowers, opening white from pink buds. Flowers have purple blotches at the base
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Partial shade - dappled shade
Additional Features - Good to know - - a large-leaf shrub that requires very a very sheltered site
Pests & Diseases - vine weevils, scale insects, powdery mildew, bud blast, honey fungus
Place of origin - Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan, Assam
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Scented Plants - Scented flowers -
Seasonal Interest - Spring -
Soil Conditions - Acid / ericaceous loving - - ideally pH4.5-6.5
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich.
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Planting out rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Five late flowering rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron decorum (pink form) - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron ‘Pink Polar Bear’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from seed
- Rhododendron Seed Collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by taking semi-ripe cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
to 3m (10ft)
to 3m (10ft)