Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
MAGNOLIA x loebneri 'Raspberry Fun'
A tough x loebneri hybrid which is suitable for the smaller garden. A profusion of reddish-pink flowers
Deciduous - narrowly obovate, mid-green leaves 10-15cm (4-6in) long.
Red - reddish pink
Height - 2-5m (6½-16ft)
Spread - 2-5m (6½-16ft)
Tall Shrub - small, slender-branched, upright shrub
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Full sun - shelter from strong winds
Additional Features - Good to know - stellata type. Similar to Leonard Messell (a parent) with more tepals
Pests & Diseases - scale insects, honey fungus, coral spot
Place of origin - garden origin. Chollipo Arboretum, South Korea. 1987
Flower Shape - Star-shaped - to 10cm (4in) across
Hardiness - Fully hardy
Scented Plants - Scented flowers
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich.
Neutral to acid soil
Magnolia - Care Guide
- Cultivation of Magnolias
- Pruning Magnolias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning shoots on grafted rootstock - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning small & large shoots below the graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil Conditions
- Planting Locations
- Planting a magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scraping deadwood to see if alive - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pests and Diseases
- Magnolia Slug Protection - Short Video Tip ondemand_video
- Slug Protection - Longer Video Tip ondemand_video
- Michelia foveolata - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Michelia macclurei - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Magnolia 'Tropicana' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Magnolia 'Tikitere' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Magnolia 'Peachy' and 'Daybreak' Video Tip ondemand_video
- Best yellow magnolias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Magnolia insignis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
Magnolia - Hybridisation
Magnolia - Propagation
Planting to avoid allergic reactions and asthma
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5