- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
EvergreenMid green, medium to large leaves 5-15cm (2-6in) to 15-45cm (6-18in)
Tall ShrubOpen habit. Trusses of 9-10, funnel-shaped flowers 13cm (5in) long
Hardy - average winterHardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)Borderline
Partial shadeShelter from strong winds
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesGood to knowR. discolor x griffithianum. Originally named 'Cornish Loderi'Pests & DiseasesVine weevil, scale insects, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blastPlace of originGarden origin. C. Williams, Caerhays, Cornwall
HardinessFrost hardy (down to -5)
Pruning groupPruning group 8Suitable for: Wall trained shrubs and less vigorous climbers.
Action: For climbers 'spur prune' by cutting back 3-4 buds of the permanent framework. For wall trained shrubs cut back flowered shoots to within 2-4 buds of permanent framework.
When: Annually after flowers if on previous year's growth, or in late Winter or Spring if on current year's growth.
RHS group 12 & 13
Scented PlantsScented flowers
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilHumus-richNeutral to acid soilIdeally pH 4.5 - 5.5
- R. augustinii, edgeworthii x leucaspis, 'Anne Teese', loderi 'King George' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron cilpinense - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron decorum (pink form) - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Five late flowering rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- R. niveum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron ‘Pink Polar Bear’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video