- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
SPECIMEN SIZED VARIETIES OF ACER PALMATUM ARE IN 7.5 OR 10 LITRE POTS AND ARE ALL APPROXIMATELY 4-6 FEET IN HEIGHT.
SPECIMEN SIZED VARIETIES OF ACER PALMATUM DISSECTUM ARE SMALLER GROWING AND THEREFORE CONSIDERABLY SMALLER IN SIZE ALTHOUGH OF A SIMILAR AGE.
Genus of 120 species of evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs, from woodlands mainly, in Europe, northern Africa, Asia and North and Central America.
Some form large trees and others are understorey plants. The most popular decorative forms are from the palmatum group, Japanese maples which have been cultivated in Japan for centuries and is a well-known temple tree and bonsai subject . They have appeared in art forms for centuries.
Palmatum (hand-like) was the name given by Swedish doctor-botanist Carl Peter Thunberg late in the 18th century, following the ancient Japanese where they were likened to hands of frogs or hands of babies.
The UK representative is the field maple, A. campestre, a medium-sized tree favouring chalk soils but widely planted. It is a wildlife plant attractive to aphids which are preyed on by ladybirds, hoverflies and birds. Caterpillars eat the leaves and the nectar and pollen in the flowers attract insects as well.
The wood has the highest density of all the European maples and is used for veneers and harps.
- Garden Cultivation
- Pests & Diseases
- Further Reading
- Scorching & Dieback - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
- How to plant/move a shrub
- How to plant/move a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fertisiling shrubs - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Mulching - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Taking semi-ripe cuttings -Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-sown seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Trimming a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Lithocarpus Seed Collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Camellia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Storing seeds over winter
- Embothrium Collecting and Storing Seeds
- Decaisnea Seed Collection & Potting
Buy Varieties of ACER
weeping lace leafed maple with upright growth to 10ft and arching branches. Bright green foliage in spring colouring golden yellow in autumn
mound-forming weeping habit. Red new growth. Purple-red in summer. Brilliant red in autumn
light green, ragged foliage turning crimson in autumn
arching habit with finely divided green leaves
deep purple-red foliage similar to 'Bloodgood' but considered to be an improved form
yellow-green leaves in spring, deep green in summer and gold in autumn. Brightly coloured bark. Tolerant of sun
red-tinted green leaves turning scarlet in autumn
red stems, golden young foliage
a 2018 RHS Plant of the Year finalist. The leaf colour starts a pale yellowish-green, then develops white edging to the leaf in late spring., the leaves turn reddish in parts of the plant in the summer and the autumn colour is a golden-yellow. A true metamorphosis in a season
deeply-lobed wine-red leaves in spring and summer turning fiery-red in autumn
purple-red foliage in spring which develops greenish tones and turns red-scarlet in autumn
orange-green foliage in spring turning gold-crimson in autumn. Pendulous habit
yellow-golden leaves unfold in spring becoming greenish in summer and orange-yellow as autumn nears
slightly bronze foliage, scarlet autumn colour
pink-tinted foliage in spring turning red, orange and yellow in autumn
red foliage in spring and summer turning crimson-red in autumn. Upright habit
a slow growing dwarf form with reddish-purple leaves
green foliage is variegated irregularly with white and rose-pink on the edges especially on the new growth
('Senkaki') - young branches coral-red. Good yellow autumn colour
green leaves with 7 long linear segments which are thin and narrow. A very dainty appearance and a soft yellow colouration in autumn. One of the best forms of A.palmatum in the garden at Burncoose
bronze form of this excellent narrow leaved acer
upright growing compact and dense variety with bright red new foliage which matures to deep maroon red
bright green stem. Fresh green leaves turning gold in autumn
brilliant glittering scarlet spring foliage becoming shrimp pink and bronzy-green then orange in autumn
pink-margined pinkish-green leaves turning scarlet in autumn
foliage maroon to red in spring turning bright red in autumn. Dense upright habit
red new growth turning bronze-green
golden yellow leaves in summer. Shows good resistance to heat and sun
purplish-red young leaves, later green with red autumn colour
intense orange new growth turning orange-green and yellow in autumn