- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
EvergreenNarrow, sharply pointed leaves to 18cm (7in) long, covered with dense, short hairs
Tall ShrubOpen, leggy habit. Produces openly funnel-shaped flowers to 11.5cm (4½in) across in loose trusses of about 14
Hardy - cold winterHardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Full sunShelter from strong winds
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesGood to knowR. griersonianum x R. auriculatum. Shallow planting is essential. Improved by pruningPests & DiseasesVine weevils, scale, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blastPlace of originGarden origin
(see photos above)
(see photos above)Oblong (see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 5Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs that require minimal pruning.
Action: Trim or lightly cut back shoots that spoil symmetry. Deadhead regularly.
When: Annually after flowering.
RHS group 8
Soil ConditionsAcid / ericaceous lovingIdeally pH 4.5-6.0Fertile moist well-drained soilHumus-richNeutral to acid soil
Toxic - Category CHarmful if eaten(People & Pets)
- R. augustinii, edgeworthii x leucaspis, 'Anne Teese', loderi 'King George' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron cilpinense - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron decorum (pink form) - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Five late flowering rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- R. loderi 'King George' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- R. niveum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron ‘Pink Polar Bear’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video