- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- December 2018
- November Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Rhododendron Wine and Roses – Save £8 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' giftwrapped & delivered for £29.50 saving £6.00
- Daphne 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Camellia x vernalis Yuletide 3 year old plant for £40.00 inc giftwrap, c&p, save £9.50
- Daphne odora f. alba delivered and giftwrapped for £45.00 saving £9.50
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
1 year old plants - Approx plant size 6 - 10 inches
All £9.50 each, any 3 for £24.00 or any 5 for £35.00
2 year old plants - Approx plant size 12 - 18 inches
All £17.50 each, any 3 for £45.00 or any 5 for £65.00
3 year old plants - Approx plant size 18 - 24 inches
All £21.00 each, any 3 for £54.00 or any 5 for £80.00
J = japonica
S = sasanqua
R = reticulata
W = x williamsii
Sp = species
Sizes and varieties available change throughout the year. For up to date availability see website. Please do specify substitutes if and where you can. Some varieties flower in OCT-NOV, others go on from JAN-MAY.
Genus of over 250 species of long-lived, elegant, evergreen shrubs and small trees, 1-20m (3-65ft) tall, from areas of acid soil in woodland areas from northern India and the Himalayas to China and Japan and south to northern Indonesia, Java and Sumatra. They usually have bold, glossy leaves and flowers in shades of white, pink, red or yellow. Some are fragrant.
Economically important in the subcontinent of India and Asia, the leaves of C. sinensis are processed for the beverage tea and C. oleifera produces tea seed oil used for cooking. The UK climate is suitable for camellia and "grow your own" tea is becoming popular, especially the green variety with its high level of antioxidants. C. sinensis var. sinensis is the China tea and C. sinensis var. assamica the Indian version.
Cultivated in the gardens of China and Japan for centuries before they were seen in Europe, varieties were brought in in the late 18th century by the British East India Company as the tea trade flourished.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, scale insects, vine weevils, leaf spot.
Place of Origin - (cultivar)
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Height - 2 - 5m (6 - 15ft)
Spread - 1 - 3m (3 - 10ft)
Fertile moist well-drained soil
Rounded to broadly columnar
Rounded to broadly spreading
Flower Colour - Bicolor - pure white occasionally flushed pink.
Flower Shape - Semi-double - Two rows of petals with conspicuous stamens
- Camellia Care - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil Conditions
- Planting Tips
- Camellia Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pests and Diseases
- Flowering Periods
- Self Seeding Camellia reticulata - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
2 - 5m (6 - 15ft)
1 - 3m (3 - 10ft)