emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
CAMELLIA 'Francis Hanger'
- Camellia - A guide to sizing and pricing
- Camellia - Care Guide
- Camellia - Hybridisation
- Camellias - Background info Videos.
- Cold weather damage to evergreen plants
- Planting to avoid allergic reactions and asthma
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
- Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Evergreen - elliptic to broadly elliptic, glossy, dark green leaves to 10cm (4in)
Height - 1-1.5m (3-5ft)
Spread - 1-1.5m (3-5ft)
Medium shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height - upright, compact, bushy shrub. Flowers have conspicuous deep yellow stamens.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - aphids, scale insects, vine weevils, leaf spot.
Place of origin - garden origin. UK. 1946. RHS Garden, Wisley, Surrey. Mr F. Hanger.
Camellia Types - x williamsii -
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Soil Conditions - Acid / ericaceous loving -
Fertile moist well-drained soil
- Camellia Care - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil Conditions
- Planting Tips
- Camellia Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Wind damaged pruning & staking - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pests and Diseases
- Sooty mould in spring - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Collecting Camellia Seeds - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by semi-ripe cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Flowering Periods
- Self Seeding Camellia reticulata - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Propagation information - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Camellia 'Cornish Snow Michael' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Camellia oleifera - Video Tip ondemand_video
- C. transnokoensis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- x williamsii Camellias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Camellia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video