- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
ACER palmatum 'Bloodgood'
Commonly known as Japanese maple
DeciduousDeeply cut, 5-lobed leaves
Tall ShrubVigorous shrub producing small, inconspicuous flowers in spring and winged red fruits in autumn
Hardy - very cold winterHardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Partial shadeShelter from cold winds and late frosts
ACER palmatum 'Bloodgood'
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesGood to knowOne of the best purples and excellent as a specimen. Ultimate height and spread reached in about 20 years.Pests & DiseasesAphids, mites, scale insects, caterpillars, Verticillium wilt, leaf scorch, honey fungus.Place of originChina, Korea, Japan.
Garden Location/ConditionsPatio / pot plants
Leaf Colour (if not green)Purple
(see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 1Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1Late autumn to midwinter
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soil
- Garden Cultivation
- Pests & Diseases
- Further Reading
- Scorching & Dieback - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
- How to plant/move a shrub
- How to plant/move a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fertisiling shrubs - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Mulching - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Taking semi-ripe cuttings -Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-sown seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Trimming a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Lithocarpus Seed Collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Camellia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Storing seeds over winter
- Embothrium Collecting and Storing Seeds
- Decaisnea Seed Collection & Potting