- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Deciduousunequally-toothed mid-green leaves 7-12cm (3-5in) turning yellow to orange in autumn.
TreeSmooth, fluted grey bark. Catkins in spring; male, yellow to 3cm (1in) long, female, greenish, to 12cm (5in) long.
Very hardyHardy in the severest continental climates including exposed upland locations in the UK. Plant can withstand temperatures < -20 (-4°F)
Additional FeaturesGood to knowOur native hornbeam. Wildlife plant - moth larvae, birds. Makes excellent hedge, retaining leaves when trimmed.Pests & Diseasescaterpillars, aphids, coral spot.Place of originEurope, Turkey, Ukraine
Garden Location/ConditionsCoastal / windsweptTolerant of full exposure to sea winds
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 1Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soil
Tree ShapeBroadly conicalTo rounded broadly spreading
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of CARPINUS betulus
upright columnar growing form
excellent autumn colour in fiery orange and red