emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Indian bean tree, Southern catalpa
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Deciduous - large, mid-green leaves, heart-shaped at the base, to 25cm (10in) long.
White - with yellow and purple-brown markings
Height - 15m (49ft)
Spread - 15m (49ft)
Tree - spreading habit. Flowers are followed by slender pods to 40cm (16in) long
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Full sun - shelter from strong winds, and young plants from severe frosts.
Additional Features - Good to know - - wildlife plant - nectar and pollen for insects. Named after the American indian tribe, Catawba and mistakenly recorded as Catalpa
Pests & Diseases - none.
Place of origin - southeastern USA.
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Flower Shape - Panicles - - upright panicles 20-30cm (8-12in) long
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil -
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly spreading -
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video