emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
CATALPA bungei f.duclouxii
Commonly known as Chinese bean tree
Deciduous - ovate to triangular, or heart-shaped, leathery leaves to 20cm (8in) long with slender-pointed tips
Shades of pink - All shades of pink through to Carmine (red) - lilac pink
Height - 20m (65ft)
Spread - 5m (16ft)
Tree - narrow-crowned tree. Produces corymbs of 7-15 flowers followed by long, slender seed pods to 80cm (32in) long
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Full sun - protect from strong winds.
Partial shade - light, dappled shade.
Additional Features - Good to know - - wildlife plant - insects
Pests & Diseases - none.
Place of origin - central and western China.
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Flower Shape - Bell/Lantern - - bell-shaped to 3.5cm (1½in) across
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil -
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video