- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Katsura tree
Genus of 2 species of deciduous trees from woodlands in China and Japan. C. japonicum is one of the largest hardwoods in Asia, reaching 45m (148ft) in height.
The wood is that traditionally used for the board in the ancient Chinese game of strategy "Go".
In certain conditions the leaves of C. japonicum exude a noticeable toffee/burnt sugar aroma.
Deciduousleaves to 11cm (4½in) long. Leaves have a maroon colour when they emerge, turning green and then creamy-yellow in autumn maintaining the strawberry tints.
TreePyramidal to broadly conical, spreading with age.
Hardy - cold winterHardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Full sunshelter from cold winds.
Partial shadeDappled shade
Additional FeaturesGood to knowFallen leaves smell of burnt sugar when crushedPests & DiseasesNone.Place of originChina, Japan.
Leaf Colour (if not green)Red
(see photos above)
(see photos above)Ovate (see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 1Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Scented PlantsScented foliage
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilHumus-rich.Neutral to acid soilBetter autumnal colouring on more acidic soils.
Tree ShapeBroadly conical
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of CERCIDIPHYLLUM
smoky pink or yellow autumnal colouring when a pungent scent like burnt sugar will be detectable in favourable seasons
a rare form with long weeping branches
strong purplish foliage which appears almost black from a distance and spectacular autumn colour