- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- December 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Rhododendron Wine and Roses – Save £8 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Camellia x vernalis Yuletide 3 year old plant for £40.00 inc giftwrap, c&p, save £9.50
- Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' giftwrapped & delivered for £29.50 saving £6.00
- Daphne odora f. alba delivered and giftwrapped for £45.00 saving £9.50
- Daphne 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Buddleia, Butterfly bush
The Buddleja, Buddleia or Buddlea, named after English rector Rev. Adam Buddle is pronounced without the "j".
Genus of about 100 species of evergreen, semi-evergreen and deciduous shrubs, sometimes trees and climbers and a few herbaceous perennials.
They originate from riversides, rocky areas and scrub in Asia, Africa and North and South America.
Staples of the modern butterfly garden they are also attractive to moths and bees. Breeding is resulting in more compact cultivars of davidii with sterile seed, an important attribute because of its invasiveness.
Good to know - named after Adam Buddle,17th century botanist and rector from Essex. Linnaeus listed it as Buddleja rather than Buddleia. Wildlife plant - butterflies, moths and many other insects.
Pests & Diseases - capsid bugs, caterpillars, figwort weevil, mullein moth, red spider mites.
Place of Origin - Asia, Africa, North and South America
Evergreen - semi evergreen and deciduous shrubs and trees - a few herbaceous perennials
Fertile well drained soil